Monday, July 14, 2008

Tucker on the Bleachers

It was our school's stupid spirit week. I was stuck sitting next to Joey Cucco. He was my friend, but boy, hella annoying. I sighed desperately. Then, 6A walked up. That meant Tucker.
"Tucker!" I called, catching his attention. His shimmering blue eyes looked back, and he started walking up toward me. Immediately, we began talking like CRAZY.

"This is so boring. Why do we even do this?" I complained, sweating. Then, I wondered. Why was Tucker wearing a sweatshirt? Some questions never get answered.
"Yeah, seriously. Nothing here is interesting," he replied back. We started off talking. Nonstop, too. Mrs. Hendricson even glared at us. That wasn't even normal.

After a couple of hours of sitting in pure boredom and talking to Tucker, it was finally the end of the day. The bell rang, and the entire school stormed to get their backpacks. "I want out!" I thought.
I lost Tucker in the huge crowd of angry 8th graders trying to get to their lockers through the storm of students. I grabbed my stuff, swung my backpack over my shoulder, and headed for the bus.
Just about to board, Tucker came up to me. He asked a question I never expected from him...

"Will you go out with me?" he asked. What?! I thought. This couldn't be happening...
"Of course..." I said slowly. He smiled, white teeth shimmering at me. His blue eyes looked so innocent.

"Well, see you at Fun Night," he told me, smiling once more, then running for it. I watched him take off, and knew he so deserved his 6:16 on the mile. Then I thought to myself, "Why always the athletes?".
I stared at Tucker, watching him run faster and faster, further away at every step. I was lost in a daze. My first boyfriend of the year!

"You getting on miss?" my bus driver snapped.

"'Course. 'Course I am," I told her.

I boarded the bus, staring out the window in my daze.

No comments: